Wednesday, August 22, 2012

It's real now

Today I formally withdrew Owen from school. I had filed all the necessary paperwork on July 2nd and had attempted to withdraw him right away at the school. Since it is summer they operate on a skeleton crew and when I went there no one quite knew what to do.  I got busy, and just put it off, but school officially starts Monday so I had to get it done. In the back of my mind I felt somewhat safe thinking that if we can't do this he can just start school like normal. It's not what I wanted but it was there in my mind. I had my whole speech worked out in my head, justifying our decision. Not that I needed to I was just expecting some kind of questioning of our choice. I almost felt let down that I got nothing!

 It has been challenging working with Owen, I never understood the unschooling terms until I started working with him. Now I absolutely see why it is necessary and why I need to be more patient with him. When he was younger he was so confident and eager to learn. Somewhere that has been lost and I need to help him find it again.  I know this is the right path I just have to trust in God that he will help me with him.

The next few weeks we are studying North America, right now we are working with the state. It's been so long since I studied geography it has been interesting for me too. We are moving along with our math in MUS and Life of Fred. I have noticed Owen getting much quicker with his adding and subtracting which is great to see. We added in some grammar, using Easy Grammar, which Owen swears is not easy! We are also doing vocabulary working with compound words last week and prefixes and suffixes this week. AAS is going well, It is funny I dislike this so far, but Owen really seems to enjoy it. It is super easy right now, but the skills he is learning now will carry through the levels. He is getting super quick with alphabetizing, which took him forever before.

Wyatt and Pixie have enjoyed playing with these Lauri Tall-Stacker Uppercase.

Lauri Toys Tall-Stacker A-Z Pegboard Set (Uppercase)
These are great, Wyatt loves picking out letters and learning how to spell his name. Pixie enjoys putting the pegs in the letters. I will probably get the lowercase letters next since they are so durable and the kids enjoy them.
Richard Scarry Busy Town
Wyatt and I also had some quiet time today to play a new game Richard Scary Busytown. We don't have much time with just us and I was surprised how good he did. He learned the directions very quickly and was even reminding me when I was not doing it right. He amazes me how smart he is and how quick he is to pick things up. We played twice and he can't wait to play again tomorrow when Pixie takes a nap. Well tomorrow is another day, hoping for some sunshine as it's been very wet here recently.




No comments:

Post a Comment