Friday, August 10, 2012

We survived!

Our first week has gone fairly well. I realize I need to pray for more patience as three kids competing for my attention can get a little crazy! This week we introduced My Father's world (MFW), Math-u-see (MUS) and All about spelling (AAS). As the weeks go on I plan on incorporating writing, and a new vocabulary curriculum that looked promising, called Foundations by dynamic literacy. Owen is also continuing on with his life of fred math books also. We started the series earlier this summer and he really loves these. He is now on the third book and I love that he is enjoying reading as well as working with math. Since a good bit of this series is review for him I am also having him do MUS.

I was impressed that he by Friday he was able to tell me his bible verse by memory. He has enjoyed reviewing maps and locating new places on them. Most of the work right now has been oral, but the bit of writing has been met with a resistance. I don't know if that is a boy thing or it's just him. I have chosen to not push the issue right now and see what I can get him to do.

The hardest thing for me right now is trying to figure out where he is at with his math and spelling. Both programs I chose to step back a level or start from the beginning to make sure he has a good foundation. The math seems very easy for him, so we are moving fairly quickly trying to get to where he will be challenged. The spelling seems to remedial for him but I can already see why it works very well for kids. I think it will take us a little while to get a good feeling for what we should be focused on.

Pixie has been very interested in what we are doing. She loves the phonograms CD and my little parrot sounds just like the guy on the program. She also love the MUS DVD, and as soon as he comes on she pushes her stool over to sit next to Owen and watch. Wyatt isn't near as interested in that stuff as he is in pestering Owen while he is trying to work. This weekend I need to start making some busy boxes and activities to keep him and Pixie occupied.  The best thing is hearing Owen tell other people how much he likes it so far.  I am sure this will not always be the case, but it's nice to hear right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment