Friday, August 31, 2012

Trying week

This week has not been the best. Owen and I are still struggling to find our groove. There are many times I feel totally inadequate and helpless in working with him. I always feared how homeschooling him would go because of our personalities. I guess it's because in many ways we are alike and that make us clash. There was a few times this week I had contemplated putting him in the car and taking him back to school. However this is so much more about the big picture, and the way I want to raise our children. I know a large part of this is about developing my children's character and it is very apparent this is where I need to start, I just wish I knew how. I have been praying a lot, hoping God will guide me in this.  Owen is such a wonderful kid, so sweet, smart and creative. I just wish I knew the best way to make him understand he is totally capable. I spend a good bit of our day arguing and trying to get him to just settle down and do his work. I get that the little ones are a distraction, but I am trying to find good activities to keep them occupied during the times I need to help him. Wednesday was awful, I spent most of the day in tears. Owen was angry, and while we are usually done by lunch time it took us until 3 to complete our work. I really wanted to just call it a day, but I worry if I do this he will push me continuously until we never accomplish anything. Thursday was much better, I spent the night reading parenting books and am actively trying to work on some issues. Today my DH decided to take Owen to work with him. I made up his binder with his work and sent him off with some relief. Wyatt and Pixie and I took the morning to shop for some craft supplies and then spent the rest of today crafting (more on this in a minute). When my DH called he said Owen did great, which I am glad, but I have to admit I was a little aggravated. I want this to work so badly, it hurt my feeling a bit.

This week I have been researching things to keep the kids entertained. I found tons of info online about busy bags, boxes, etc. So today Wyatt and Pixie and I went to AC Moore, and Dollar Tree to pick up some supplies to make some. Today we made some felt projects and I think they turned out awesome! I found a link on pinterest Here to make a felt pizza complete with little recipe cards. This is our finished project:


 
Since I have a wealth of craft material to use to make these kind of things it was pretty easy. It was fun finding what metal dies to use to make some of the shapes. Wyatt had fun making my request and can't wait to show his sister it when she wakes up. I also made some felt ice cream cones, and cupcakes, but I am still working on some of the embellishments. I am hoping some of these things keep them entertained so I can work with Owen. My other motive with these projects is for Pixie and church. Since she refuses to stay in grow zone at church and now doesn't want to sit in the service I need to find somehow to keep her quiet. Last week the coffee shop was filled up, so we sat in the lobby.  She started getting crazy and running around the sofa until she fell right into the wall. She was fine, but my bag of tricks was limited and it was not the best day there. We are not sure how to proceed with her, as we want to continue to go especially for the boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment